Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Show Review: Battles @ 9:30 club 6/14/08 - C.Beaz

I used to like Battles. My roommate got me into them. Their debut record "Mirrored" was my top record of last year. So naturally I was excited to see them live. On June fourteenth they came to the 9:30 Club in D.C. Now I love Battles. I believe that they are one of the best things happening in music right now. They, in one and one half hours, managed to change the way I see and appreciate music and musicians. They opened my eyes a little wider. Unfortunately, some artists I used to see as visionary and brilliant just aren't anymore. It doesn't matter who those people are. I'm telling you this because that's how good they were. They did things with their instruments that were incredible. That's it. They were incredible. They played with total abandon and absolute precision at the same time. They made me love music even more.
Their set was a blur, honestly. I stood paralyzed for the entire thing. Stunned by what I saw and heard.
It was perfect.
It's been a long time since I've seen a show that gave me that feeling. It made want to be better at what I do.
It was an honor to be there, Thank you Battles.

No comments: