Tuesday, June 24, 2008

interview w/ Press Black

“Press Black doesn't care how you'd like it........"

TF: Band members / instruments?
Willis: There is me, Willis, and I play drums. Then there’s Cody and Ben and they plays guitars and sings...sometimes together, sometimes separately..

TF: History of the band?
W: After my last band broke up I tooled around for awhile, ya know playing with me. Ben and Cody had already gotten this shit started with some other people but they got rid of them and went on in a sort of local h or white stripes fashion. They recorded a two song CD splitting drum duties and I really dug it. So I was like you guys need a DRUMMER and they made me audition and after one practice they were like...."oh my god you’re so awesome, please come play drums for us" and I was like "I guess that would be...fine" ha-ha

TF: Your influences?
W: I’m not the kind of musician that likes a band and knows the name of the drummer or their birthday or where they live and so on. I don’t go to great lengths to be a fucking music nerd like Cody ha-ha. I mean no offense to anyone; I just simply like what I like. Two favorite bands, Choking Victim and the Dillinger Escape Plan...hands down

TF: Other bands / scenes you’ve been involved with?
W: Scenes? One time we played at a redneck bar...needless to say it was pretty uh strange. I’ve been in a few bands though. It started with Knife Your Neighbor which became Postictal. That was fun but we all just came to a fork in the road and took different paths. I was in red eyed five for like a week but aside from Shea (butter) they were all douche queefs so I split on them. And then, yeah....Press Black (for life)

TF: Best show experience (in a band & viewing)?
W: The first show Press Black played at the Sidebar was the best! At least to me it was. even though I had been in bands playing shows for awhile, I still got nervous before shows and had stage fright and shit. We kicked into our first song, “Back to the Rathole”, and within the first ten seconds, i just let loose and ever since then shits been different. best show I’ve ever seen? GWAR twice. hands down the best show ever

TF: Worst show experience (in a band & viewing)?
W: oh god that fucking show at the shitty tap in pap smear Delaware. That fucking place is the asshole of America. Fuck Delaware, and especially fuck the fucking odd squad. They were the worst show experience I had in viewing. they were fucking trash, musically and socially, and i hope they all have heart attacks....cause they’re old.

TF: Top 5 records (any style)?
W:
calculating infinity - The Dillinger Escape Plan
no gods, no managers - Choking Victim
the decline - NOFX
Milo goes to college - The Descendents
and uhhh…”the very good years” - Frank Sinatra


TF: Favorite local bands you’d recommend?
W: uhh…The World Class Defects are cool ...nice guys too. uhh The Living Wrecks are good too. Cool guys, except for Shane… just kidding. uhh Betty Sue Aside are fucking fast crust punk death metal.. The Ripovs are cool...really really LOUD!! and uhh the International Jet Set Conspiracy ha-ha they’re cool but there guitarist...Cody I think is his name....he’s a fucking rock star! Don’t try talking to that mother fucker cause he'll remind you of what your place is ha-ha

In two years we’ll be…?
We as in me and you, you and me? or we as in press black? Us
? Or the human race as a whole? ha-ha I don’t know man that’s a tough one. we as a race will be two years closer to death and press black will still be making awesome music...hopefully cause this is the most awesome musical uhhhh syndicate that I’ve ever been involved with.

No comments: