Saturday, August 23, 2008

Pete Yorko - “The Bigger Picture”

By: C. Beaz

Sometimes you don’t get what you expect. When I saw Pete Yorko perform earlier this month my first impression was “Great, a one man band…a guy who is so untalented that the only person that will play with him is himself!” But, what I got was a guy that was extremely talented. So talented in fact, that he didn’t need a band at all. He played a set of songs that were instantly memorable. I know this is true because when I got home and listened to the CD, “The Bigger Picture”, I knew the songs from his set the night before.

I didn’t just recognize them, I KNEW them! Maybe because songs like “Pennsylvania Line” and “Reno Café” have been written before. They were re-written standards. I don’t like the word generic, it sounds too much like an insult. Although I did seem to know where each song was going before it went there.

This all sounds like criticism, but the familiarity is exactly what I love about it! It’s GREAT. Get it, put it in your stereo and spend about an hour singing along to songs you’ve never heard before.

www.peteyorko.com

No comments: