Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Under The Radar: Skarp -"Requiem"

After finding out that Seattle Washington's Skarp had labeled their music as "Blackout Fucking Grindcore" it was inevitable that I was going to love it...I had no choice. With new genre names popping up every day...emo, screamo, industrial post-modern popcore hip-hop you're-boring-the-shit-out-of-me-I’ll-have-a-salad-core...it
's impossible to keep up. It's refreshing that a band will just get to the point and make some music. This is some of the most hard hitting, disastrously brutal music I've ever heard mixing elements of Grindcore, Crust Punk, and about 11 seconds of Ska. I'm not a fan of music this heavy usually, but there are several factors about Skarp that keep me listening. It's not often you hear female vocals in this type of music and Skarp does it well...Renae is clearly not fucking around. The drummer is the other winning point for me, very very quick, interesting snare drum sound, and some of the cleanest blast-beats I’ve ever heard. Even if you're not into this kind of music it's still amazing just to hear the musicianship if nothing else. I like this album more every time I hear it.

No comments: